POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Function parameter bug : Re: Function parameter bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function parameter bug
From: Rune
Date: 27 Oct 2001 07:46:53
Message: <3bda9ead@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" wrote:
> Rune wrote:
> >
> > > Since it's leagal to use declared variables in functions,
> >
> > When you *call* functions, not when you initiate them! At least it
shouldn't
> > be since it makes no sense at all.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Surely also when you initiate them, and this makes a lot of sense.

You say it's legal an useful to use declared variables as parameters when
declaring a function. But I can't see how, as it just generates an error, as
I reported. Please post an example.

> I would find constructs like the following extremely irritating:
>
> #declare V = 0.1;
> #declare Myfunction = function (V, x) {V*x}

This should make V a parameter, unrelated to the variable V IMO.
Currently it generates an error. What's the use in that?
How do *you* think it should work?

> #declare Myfunction2 = function (x) {V*x}

This should use the variable V, and it does, so there's no problem here.

> I know macros work this way, but as Thorsten mentioned,
> they are something completely different.

I still don't see how the current behavior makes any sense!

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)